In the following questions, choose the one best answer:
1. Which of the following patients is most likely to transmit HIV through sexual intercourse?
a. An acutely infected person with a viral load above 100,000 copies/mL
b. An acutely infected person with a CD4 count below 50 and a history of syphilis
c. A chronically infected person with three viral mutations and a viral load of 10,000 copies/mL
d. A chronically infected person who is antiretroviral experienced with a viral load of 10,000 copies/mL
2. According to ACTG 076, which of the following is the recommended dosing schedule for zidovudine (Retrovir) to reduce vertical transmission of HIV?
a. Administer orally to infant for eighteen months?
b. Administer intravenously weekly during third trimester and during labor and delivery
c. Administer orally during the first trimester only
d. Administer orally during last two trimesters, intravenously during labor, and orally to infant for six weeks after birth.
3. When drug resistance occurs, the advance practice nurse should
a. Assume client has not been adherent to present regimen
b. Increase the dosage of client’s protease inhibitor
c. Stop all medications for three weeks , then restart the same regimen
d. Switch the client to a new drug regimen.
4. As people with advanced HIV disease prepare to die, it may be important to assist them in
a. Maintaining denial
b. Coping with unresolved issues
c. Ignoring effects of dementia and delirium
d. Avoiding decisions about quality of dying
5. If a patient on zidovudine (Retrovir) has a Hct of 22% and Hgb of 9.8 g/dL, which of the following is indicated?
b. Vitamin B12
c. Parenteral iron
d. Recombinant erythropoietin
Answers to Sample Questions: 13. (a), 2. (d), 3. (d), 4. (b), 5. (4)